A.F. Belyanin - Dr.Sc. (Eng.), Professor, Head of Department, Central Research Technological Institute «Technomash» (Moscow)
A.S. Bagdasarian - Dr.Sc. (Eng.), Professor, Academician of Academy of Republic of Armenia, Chief Research Scientist, Institute of Radio-Engineering and Electronics of RAS (Moscow)
S.А. Nalimov - Senior Research Scientist, Central Research Technological Institute «Technomash» (Moscow)
For the manufacture of electronic devices, layered structures based on substances characterized by a complex of unique properties are promising. These substances include AlN, which has the property of field emission, is a piezoelectric and wide-gap semiconductor material and has high hardness, thermal conductivity, sound speed, stability at high temperatures. To create microwave acoustoelectronic devices, AlN is promising as a piezoelectric material with a strong piezoelectric effect. The main factor determining the achievement and reproducibility of the necessary physicochemical properties of AlN films, in particular, piezoelectric ones, is the ordered structure of the film. To solve the problem of producing films with an ordered atomic structure, sputtering methods are promising, in particular, magnetron sputtering, the application of which has no restrictions on the synthesis temperature and requirements for the substrate material. The disadvantage of growing films by magnetron sputtering is the production of multiphase material, which requires careful refinement of the synthesis conditions and control of the properties of the resulting substances.
The method of reactive RF magnetron sputtering on substrates of amorphous and crystalline materials grown AlN films with a thickness of 10 nm to 10 μm. It was established that AlN films consist of X-ray-amorphous and axially textured <0001> crystalline phases. Using electron microscopy, X-ray diffractometry, energy dispersive spectroscopy, and Raman spectroscopy, we studied the influence of synthesis conditions on the composition and structure of AlN films. The Raman spectra of light of AlN films with different contents and structure of the crystalline phase are shown. The piezoelectric efficiency of the films was determined on the models of delay lines on surface acoustic waves.
Understanding the features of crystallization and phase transformations during film growth by spraying methods helps to create layered structures with controlled values of functional properties and operational characteristics. The ability to control the piezoelectric efficiency of AlN films by Raman spectra is shown.
- Belyanin А.F., Nalimov S.A., Luchnikov A.P., Bagdasaryan A.S. Properties of planar structures based on policluster films of diamond and AlN. IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering 6. «6th International Conference: Modern Technologies for Non-Destructive Testing»ю 2018. С. 012041. DOI:10.1088/1757-899X/289/1/012041.
- Iqbal A., Mohd-Yasin F. Reactive Sputtering of Aluminum Nitride (002) Thin Films for Piezoelectric Applications: A Review. Sensors. 2018. 18(6): 1797. DOI:10.3390/s18061797.
- Spitsyn B.V., Blaut–Blachev A.N., Bouilov L.L., Zhirnov V.V., Bormatova L.V., Givargizov E.I., Belyanin A.F., Pashchenko P.V. Field emitters based on Si tips with AlN coating. Diamond and Related Materials. 1998. 7 (2–5):692–694.
- Belyanin A.F., Borisov V.V., Bagdasaryan A.S. Nanostrukturirovannye uglerodnye materialy v emissionnoj elektronike. Rossijskij tekhnologicheskij zhurnal. 2017. T. 5. № 3(17). S. 22–40 (in Russia).
- Yarar E., Hrkac V., Zamponi C., Piorra A., Kienle L., Quandt E. Low temperature aluminum nitride thin films for sensory applications. AIP Advances. 2016. 6(7). 075115. DOI: 10.1063/1.4959895.
- Wang C.C., Chiu M.C., Shiao M.H., Shieua F.S. Characterization of AlN thin films prepared by unbalanced magnetron sputtering. Journal of The Electrochemical Society. 2004. 151(10):252–256.
- Kumari N., Singh A.K., Barhai P.K. Study of Properties of AlN Thin films deposited by reactive magnetron sputtering. International journal of thin films science and technology. 2014. 3(2):43–49. DOI: org//10.12785/ijtfst/030203.
- Samojlovich M.I., Belyanin A.F. Nanostrukturirovannye plenki AlN: poluchenie, stroenie i primenenie v elektronnoj tekhnike. Inzhenernaya fizika. 2006. № 5. S. 51–56 (in Russia).
- Babad-Zahryapin A.A., Kuznecov G.D. Teksturirovannye vysokotemperaturnye pokrytiya. M.: Atomizdat. 1980. 176 s. (in Russia).
- Wang J., Chen D., Xu Y., Liu Q., Zhang L. Influence of the crystal texture on Raman spectroscopy of the AlN ﬁlms prepared by puls laser deposition. Journal of spectroscopy. 2013. V. 2013. Article ID 103602. http://dx.org/10.1155/2013/103602.
- Oliveira C., Otani C., Maciel H.S., Massi M., Noda L.K., Temperini M.L.A. Raman active E2 modes in aluminum nitride films. Journal of materials science: materials in electronics. 2001. 12:259–262.
- Liu L., Liu B., Edgara J.H., Rajasingam S., Kuball M. Raman characterization and stress analysis of AlN grown on SiC by sublimation. Journal of applied physics. 2002. 92(9):5183–5188.
- Jagannadham K., Sharma A. K., Wei Q., Kalyanraman R., Narayan J. Structural characteristics of AlN ﬁlms deposited by pulsed laser deposition and reactive magnetron sputtering: A comparative study. Journal of vacuum science & technology A. 1998. 16(5):2804–2815.
- Fillipidis L., Siegle H., Hoffmann A., Thomsen C., Karch K., Bechstegt F. Raman frequencies and angular dispersion of polar modes in aluminum nitride and gallium nitride. Physica status solidi (b). 1996. 190:621–627.
- Vispute R.D., Narayan J., Wu H., Jagannadham K. Epitaxial growth of AIN thin films on silicon (111) substrates by pulsed laser deposition. Journal of applied physics. 1995. 77(9):4724–4728.
- Xu J., Thakur J.S., Hu G., Wang Q., Danylyuk Y., Ying H., Auner G.W. Angular dependence of surface acoustic wave characteristics in AlN thin ﬁlms on a-plane sapphire substrates. Applied physics A. 2006. 83:411–415.
- Belyanin A.F., Bagdasaryan A.S. Sloistaya struktura na osnove plenok poliklasternogo almaza i AlN dlya ustrojstv na poverhnostnyh akusticheskih volnah. Uspekhi sovremennoj radioelektroniki. 2017. № 3. S. 30–38 (in Russia).