E.M. Makarychev – Post-graduate Student, Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology (State University); Engineer, PJSC «Radiofizika» (Moscow)
I.A. Grigoriev – Head of Sector, PJSC «Radiofizika» (Moscow)
D.S. Ochkov – Ph.D.(Eng.), Senior Research Scientist, Head of Department, PJSC «Radiofizika» (Moscow)
This paper contains evaluation of the effects of oscillator phase noise on chirp signals optimal filtering perfomance in monopulse radar and radar with coherent integration of pulses. For monopulse radar, effects were analyzed for different values of pulse duration, range delay and noise power spectrum density. For radar with coherent integration of pulses, coherent processing interval is also being varied.
This paper introduces evaluation results of the effects of oscillator phase noise impact on chirp signals optimal filtering perfomance in monopulse radar and radar with coherentintegration of pulses.
Monopulse radar simulation has shown that the attenuation of the mutual correlation main lobe level increases with increasing of pulse duration. Simulation of coherent integration of chirp pulses shows that phase noise of oscillators considered in this work slightly reduces the integrationefficiency. The losses due to phase noise influence on coherent integration of pulses are determined by the residual phase noise dispersion , therefore, a theoretical estimate of can be used to develop requirements for a radar local oscillator with coherent integration of signal.
Phase noise with a power spectral density, which includes a term describing random walk noise, prevailing at frequencies up to 1 Hz, reduces the efficiency of long-term coherentintegration. Therefore, to analyze the influence of the local oscillator during long-term coherent integration (>1 s), it is necessary to pay attention to the structure of phase noise at low frequencies.
Simulation of coherent integration with independent non-coherent local oscillators in the receiving and transmitting channels showed that such schemes are not applicable for long-term coherent integration of pulses.
- Ochkov D.S., Silaev E.A., Formalnov I.S. Otsenka intervalov kogerentnosti radiotrakta RLS. Radiotekhnika. 2006. № 4. S. 36−38.
- Skolnik M.I. Radar Handbook. The McGraw-Hill Companies. 2008.
- Grigorev I.A. Otsenka vliyaniya fazovykh fluktuatsii geterodinnykh signalov RLS na avtokorrelyatsionnuyu funktsiyu ekhosignalov. Radiotekhnika. 2013. № 5. S. 69−73.
- Allan D.W. Statistics of Atomic Frequency Standards. Proc. IEEE. 1966. V. 54. P. 221−230.
- Raven R.S. Requirements on Master Oscillators for Coherent Radar. Proc. IEEE. 1966. P. 237−243.
- Riley W.J. Handbook of Frequency Stability Analysis. NIST Special Publication 1065. 2008.