I.Sh. Bakhteev – Ph.D.(Eng.), Senior Engineer, NIKA-Microwave, Ltd (Saratov)
A.A. Dovgan – Senior Research Scientist, NIKA-Microwave, Ltd (Saratov)
A.S. Kondrashov – Ph.D.(Eng.), Deputy General Product Engineer, JSC «Russian Space Systems» (Moscow)
V.P. Meshchanov – Honored Scientist of RF, Dr.Sc.(Eng.), Professor, Director of NIKA-Microwave, Ltd (Saratov)
N.F. Popova – Ph.D.(Eng.), Deputy Director of NIKA-Microwave, Ltd (Saratov)
V.M. Rozhkov – Ph.D.(Eng.), Head of Department, JSC «Russian Space Systems» (Moscow)
This paper presents a method for calculating multipactor and corona discharges under reduced pressure, based on the addition of methods of numerical electrodynamic with equations describing the emission of electrons from the surface of metals and their diffusion in a gaseous medium. The advantages of this approach are expressed in greater accuracy in determining the threshold power levels of the onset of multipactor and corona discharges. This technique can be useful in the design of passive microwave components for space communication systems operating at elevated power levels.
Based on this technique, a numerical calculation of the coaxial-waveguide transition model for the WR229 channel with an operating frequency of 3.65 GHz was made. The obtained results showed the onset of a multipactor discharge at a power of more than 796 W, as well as the onset of a corona discharge with a minimum threshold power of 207 W at a reduced pressure of 4.5 mm Hg.
- Rajzer Yu.P. Fizika gazovogo razryada. Izd. 2-e. M.: Nauka. 1992. 592 s.
- Smirnov A.S. Fizika gazovogo razryada: Ucheb. posobie. Izd-vo SPbGTU. SPb. 1997.
- Paul F.W., Burrowbridge D.R. Prevention of Electrical Breakdown in Spacecraft // IEEE Transactions on Electrical Insulation. EI-6. 1971. P. 114−124.
- Hughes Aircraft Co., The Study of Multipactor Breakdown in Space Electronic Systems. NASA Contract NAS 5-3916. Report P65 49. April 1965.
- Cook Robert et al., Concepts and Applications of Finite Element Analysis. John Wiley & Sons. 1989.
- Li Yun et al. Three-dimensional simulation method of multipactor in microwave components for high-power space application // Chinese Phys. B23, 048402. 2014.
- Alfonseca M. Prediction of corona and multipactor RF breakdown thresholds using the CEST (Corona Simulation Electron Tool) software // 6th Workshop on Multipactor, Corona and Passive Intermodulation in Space. MULCOPIM. 2008.
- Peter A. Young. The leapfrog method and other «symplectic» algorithms for integrating Newton’s laws of motion. http://young.physics.ucsc.edu/115/leapfrog.pdf.
- Vaughan J.R.M. A new formula for secondary emission yield // IEEE Trans. Electron Devices. 36. 1963 (1989).
- Frigui K., Bila S., Baillargeat D., Catherinot A., Verdeyme S., Puech J., Estagerie L., Pacaud D., Dillenbourg H. Modeling and characterization of microwave breakdown at atmospheric pressure in omux ﬁlters // International Journal of Microwave and Computer-Aided Engineering. 2014. 24(1). 46−54.
- Koh W.H., Park I.H. Numerical simulation of a pulsed corona discharge plasma // J. Korean Physical Society. 42. 2003.