S.O. Boyko – Design Engineer, JSC Academician M.F. Reshetnev «ISS» (Zheleznogorsk)
R.P. Silivanov – Design Engineer, JSC Academician M.F. Reshetnev «ISS» (Zheleznogorsk)
A.V. Lekanov – Ph. D. (Eng.), Associate Professor, Deputy Director of the Industrial Center for Large-sized Foldable Mechanical Structures, JSC Academician M.F. Reshetnev «ISS» (Zheleznogorsk)
V.A. Levko – Dr. Sc. (Eng.), Professor, Reshetnev Siberian State Aerospace University (Krasnoyarsk)
Significant increase of satellite structural components size leads to appearance of features of their relative position fine adjustment that is a result of separated masses and linking structural elements site separation. All structural components are affected by different space factors, including temperature impact which leads to changing of satellite structure optimal geometric disposition as a result of deformations. In order to provide fine adjustment six-degree-of-freedom adjustment devices, based on precision linear actuators, are used.
Linear actuators, which are used for adjustment device, must have high precision and stiffness, ordinary structure, low mass and di-mensions, high reliability and possibility of space application. Linear drive is vital component of mechanical part of linear actuator. It is responsible for electric motor rotary motion to linear motion of output shaft transmission.
Planetary roller screw is the most perspective linear drive type. In the linear actuator, based on this drive, it is possible to reach axial displacement of nut relatively to screw equal 0.001…0.002 mm with minimal backlash.
As a result of the development work a planetary roller screw with separated nut was developed and produced by ISS-Reshetnev Company. The roller screw consists of screw (diameter is 12 mm), separated nut, threaded rollers, synchronizing gears, retainers, C rings and distance washer. The drive has high axial stiffness, minimal backlash and low transmission error in comparison with ordinary screw-nut gear due to plurality of contact points, possibility of backlash elimination, preload in the thread mesh of rollers, screw and nut.
Experimental survey is carried out in accordance with tests program and methodology developed by authors with the object of planetary roller screw parameters control in normal conditions, under high and low temperature impact (±70°С), after vibration load impact (in accordance with loads arising in process of a satellite launch) and after life test (100 000 cycles). During the tests technical characteristics listed below was defined: transmission accuracy (no more than ±0.003 mm), repeatability (no more than ±0.0008 mm), axial stiffness (better than 1•107 H/m).
Experimental survey of planetary roller screw with separated nut developed and produced in Academician M.F. Reshetnev Information Satellite Systems demonstrates that the drive is on the one level with world analogs taking into account its technical characteristics. As a result, relative position fine adjustment of telecommunication satellite structural components can be reached by means of multi-degree-of-freedom mechanisms based on developed roller screw. Moreover, it is possible to create range of roller screw drives for Russia space branch using background which is got during the process of design, producing and tests.
- Santiago-Prowald J. Large deployable antennas mechanical concepts // Proc. of large space apertures workshop. Pasadena. November 10−11. 2008.
- Asadurian A., Pugh R., Hammond J. Strain-free lock and release mechanism for an elastically suspended two-axis gimbal // Proc. of 37th Aerospace Mechanisms Symposium. Galveston. May 19−21. 2004. P. 97−106.
- Gossant A., Morichon F. Qualification of a High Accuracy Dual-Axis Antenna Deployment and Trimming Mechanism // Proc. of the 40th Aerospace Mechanisms Symposium. NASA Kennedy Space Center. May 12−14. 2010.
- Henein S., Spanoudakis P., Schwab P. Design and Development of the Point Ahead Angle Mechanism for the Laser Interferometer Space Antenna // Proc. of the 13th European Space Mechanisms and Tribology Symposium – ESMATS 2009. Vienna. Austria. September 23−25. 2009.
- Brossier J., Jeandot X., Baudasse Y., Grima D., Champandard F. Development of a High Resolution Rotary Actuator for an Antenna Trimming Mechanism // Proc. of the 39th Aerospace Mechanisms Symposium. NASA Marshall Space Flight Center. May 7−9. 2008.
- Kozy’rev V.V. Konstrukczii rolikovintovy’x peredach i metodika ix proektirovaniya: Ucheb. posobie. Vladimir: Izd-vo Vladimirskogo gos. un-ta. 2004. 102 s.
- Bushenin D.V. i dr. Raschet i proektirovanie planetarnogo zubchato-vintovogo mexanizma: metodicheskie rekomendaczii. Vladimir: Izd-vo Vladimirskogo gos. un-ta. 1986. 69 s.
- Bushenin D.V. Nesoosny’e vintovy’e mexanizmy’. Vladimir: Izd-vo Vladim. gos. un-ta. 1985. 112 s.
- Blinov D.S. Razrabotka nauchno-metodicheskix osnov rascheta i proektirovaniya planetarny’x rolikovintovy’x mexanizmov, imeyushhix mnogochislenny’e izby’tochny’e svyazi. Dis. … dokt. texn. nauk. Zashhishhena 14.12.2007. M.: Izd-vo MGTU im. N.E’. Baumana. 2007. 373 s.
- Baccar A. Friction Analysis of a roller screw assembly // Proc. of the 42th Leeds-Lyon symposium on Tribology. Lyon. France. September 7−9. 2015.
- Jones M., Velinsky S. Contact kinematics in the planetary roller screw mechanism // Proc. of the ASME International Design Engineering Technical Conferences. 2012.
- Jones M., Velinsky S. Stiffness of the roller screw mechanism by the direct method // Mechanics Based Design of Structures and Machines. 2014. V. 42. № 1. P. 17−34.
- Roller Screws: katalog. Razrabotchik i izgotovitel’ «SKF Group». Francziya. 2008. 88 s.